In the 1940s, radio and television personality Arch Oboler and his wife Eleanor commissioned Wright to design an estate overlooking the Pacific Ocean that would include a house, film-processing studio, stables, and other structures. The gate house was completed in 1940 and is the only example of Wright’s desert rubblestone construction in Southern California, and Arch Oboler, an avid rock collector, gathered many of the stones used in the construction of the gate house himself. The following year, a small studio for Eleanor was erected by the gate house on a nearby hilltop. For various reasons, including the death of the Obolers’ son at the construction site, the main house and other structures were never constructed, and the Obolers lived in the gate house until 1987. Both the gate house and Eleanor’s studio (dubbed Eleanor’s Retreat) remain privately owned and are not open for tours.